June 10, 2018
Participation in the meeting of the Council of Heads of State of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization in an expanded format
Qingdao, People’s Republic of China
During the meeting in an expanded format, the heads of state and members of the official delegations discussed issues of further cooperation under the new conditions, and exchanged views on topical issues on the international and regional agenda.
The President of Kazakhstan thanked the President of the People’s Republic of China Xi Jinping for the traditional hospitality and excellent conditions for holding a meeting of the Council, and also welcomed the Indian and Pakistani parties, who for the first time take part in the work of the summit as full members.
“With the accession of India and Pakistan during the Astana summit, the SCO has significantly strengthened its role as an influential participant in regional and international policy,” Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The President of Kazakhstan stressed the importance of the consistent implementation of the Treaty on the Long-Term Good-Neighborliness, Friendship and Cooperation of the SCO Member States as a pledge to strengthen political dialogue and confidence, ensure security and development throughout the Organization.
– The combined strength of the three-billion human potential of our countries should be used to enhance the economic cooperation of the SCO. It is important to ensure the transition to the implementation of trade and investment projects between our countries from a bilateral to a multilateral level. We are in favor of creating joint mechanisms for financing projects and mobilizing technological resources within the framework of the Organization, “Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In order to create a common platform for the development of joint modern productions and the expansion of electronic commerce, the Head of State introduced the idea of creating a platform for the exchange of experience in the field of digitalization and new technologies.
For high-quality economic growth, the President of Kazakhstan proposed to implement infrastructure “megaprojects”, which should provide a powerful multiplicative effect and will enable the use of the scientific, financial and human potential of the SCO member states.
– The implementation of the Eurasian high-speed railway (EBMM) on the Beijing-Astana-Moscow-Berlin route can become such a project. The implementation of these projects will unite the promising format of cooperation between the SCO-EEA, and in the future, hopefully, the EU, “Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In addition, the President of Kazakhstan spoke about the launch of the International Financial Center “Astana”, which will embody the best models of the world’s leading financial centers and will have a positive impact on the economy of Kazakhstan and the development of the financial system of all SCO countries.
In the context of cultural, humanitarian and scientific cooperation of the SCO countries, the Head of State highlighted the implementation of the initiative of the International Academy of Sciences of the Silk Road, which he announced last year in Beijing.
– Today, representatives of scientific institutions of some 30 countries signed a constituent document on the creation of this Academy and are ready to engage in scientific and expert support for the project “One Belt, One Way,” said the President of Kazakhstan.
Noting the significant experience of Kazakhstan in the sphere of inter-confessional consent and its contribution to the development of the dialogue of cultures and civilizations, Nursultan Nazarbayev said that the Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions is held in Astana and invited the delegations of the countries to participate in the VI Congress, which will be held on October 10-11 This year, under the motto “Religious leaders for a safe world.”
Nursultan Nazarbayev drew attention of the meeting participants to the fact that Kazakhstan constantly makes efforts to ensure global and regional stability.
– Kazakhstan is committed to the economically sustainable and safe development of Afghanistan. In this regard, we have been providing financial assistance to Kabul for many years, “the Head of State stated.
The President of Kazakhstan noted that for a short period of time the Astana negotiation process on the settlement of the crisis in Syria has established itself as an effective mechanism for achieving peace in this country.
– Kazakhstan stands for the achievement of the nuclear-free status of the Korean peninsula exclusively by peaceful means. Consistently supports and contributes to the conclusion of the agreement on the Iranian nuclear program. We are in favor of maintaining and further rigorous implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, “Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In conclusion, the Head of State thanked Chairman Xi Jinping of China for effective and successful chairmanship in the SCO and wished Kyrgyzstan the same fruitful work in this post.
– The success of the Organization largely depends on our coordinated actions, the convergence of approaches on topical issues of the world and regional agenda. I am sure that by this we guarantee a timely response to any emerging challenges and threats of our time, “said the President of Kazakhstan.