8 April 2017
Telegram of sympathy to King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden on the terrorist act in Stockholm
The telegram says that the Head of the State has taken with great sadness the news on the loss of life as a result of the terrorist attack in the city of Stockholm.
“We support the government and people of Sweden in countering international terrorism.
I extend condolences, on behalf of the people of Kazakhstan and on my own behalf, to the families and friends of the deceased, and I wish speedy recovery to the injured,” the telegram reads.
6 April 2017
Reception of delegation leaders, who arrived in Astana for the 12th Meeting of the SCO Security Councils’ Secretaries
In his opening remarks, Nursultan Nazarbayev greeted the meeting participants, noting the importance of holding such an event on the eve of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Summit this June in Astana.
– We empathize with all citizens of Russia in connection with the incident in St. Petersburg. That suggests that terrorism and extremism have no borders, and risks and threats remain. In this regard, the leaders of the countries pay special attention to the work of the Secretaries to Security Councils, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of State drew attention to the importance of strengthening existing cooperation mechanisms and the SCO regulatory framework.
Nursultan Nazarbayev also noted the positive results of the work done by the SCO member states to strengthen economic and political ties.
In addition, the President of Kazakhstan dwelled on individual tasks facing the organization.
– They are coordinated actions of the participating countries on all the issues. Currently, the SCO Convention on Counteracting Extremism and the SCO Statement on Joint Counteractions to International Terrorism are under consideration. It is necessary to complete the mutual approval of the documents in a short time, the Head of State stressed.
Nursultan Nazarbayev stated that the SCO Astana summit shall accept India and Pakistan as full members of the organization, and it will give an additional impetus to strengthening cooperation in Asia.
– It is necessary to expand cooperation of the SCO with international and regional structures: the UN, CSTO and CICA. We believe that this will also affect the further development of the organization, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of State stressed that Kazakhstan as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for 2017-2018 shall make a significant contribution to the international peace and security strengthening. In particular, the efforts for a political settlement of the Syrian crisis have been mentioned.
The meeting participants are the Secretaries to the Security Councils of Kazakhstan V. Zhumakanov, Kyrgyzstan T. Djumakadyrov, Russia N. Patrushev, Tajikistan A. Kakharov, State Councilor – Minister of Public Security (China) Guo Shengkun, the SCO Secretary General R. Alimov, and Director of the Executive Committee of the SCO Regional Antiterrorist Structure E.Sysoev.
The Astana Security Council event is held within the framework of Kazakhstan’s chairmanship in the SCO and is an important stage in getting prepared for the Council of Heads of the SCO member states’ meeting scheduled for June the current year.
5 April 2017
Meeting with Askar Zhumagaliev, Chairman of Kazatomprom JSC Board
At the meeting the Head of the State was presented with a report on the company’s results (Kazatomprom JSC), as well as information on the nuclear industry development as a whole.
Nursultan Nazarbayev focused on the use of atom for peaceful purposes and global trends in nuclear power plant operation.
Askar Zhumagaliev has also reported to the President of Kazakhstan about the company’s reaching the planned production and financial indicators in the last year alone. For the first time the net profit has amounted to over 108 billion tenge.
In addition, the Head of the State was informed about the implementation of the Transformation Program at the enterprise, the economic effect of which made more than 16 billion tenge.
The President of Kazakhstan noted the need to continue work on Kazatomprom’s diversification and modernization.
Nursultan Nazarbayev has given a number of instructions following the meeting.
4 April 2017
Visit to the Aktau Sea Northern Terminal
Nursultan Nazarbayev has got acquainted with the sea terminal activities, and was informed about the prospects of its development.
During the visit it has been reported to the President of Kazakhstan that by 2020 it is planned to significantly increase the capacity of all ports, including the Aktau Sea Northern Terminal.
The Head of the State was also told about functioning of Zhibek Zholy loading complex.
In conclusion, the President of Kazakhstan had a talk with the terminal staff.
The terminal’s work is focused on increasing the growth of export-import and transit transportation of products of Kazakhstan and Central Asia via the port of Aktau to the countries of Transcaucasia, the Persian Gulf and the Russian Federation. Works are underway at the enterprise in the all-the-year-round mode on grain trans-shipment, complex servicing of vessels, storage of large-capacity containers and warehousing operations with cargo.
4 April 2017
Visit to Azersun Production and Logistics Center LLP
The Head of the State was introduced to the Center’s work and shown the warehouses for storing production goods, as well as fruits and vegetables.
– Logistics Center in Aktau is aimed at reducing the cost of food products. It is necessary to take measures to increase in volume the storage and transportation of goods by way of reducing costs and supplying food products to both Mangistau and other regions of the country, the President of Kazakhstan said.
In conclusion, the Head of the State has wished every success to the Center’s employees.
4 April 2017
Meeting with the public of Mangistau region
As part of the working visit to Mangistau region, the Head of State met with representatives of the public. Honored veterans, workers of industrial enterprises, youth leaders, sportsmen, heads of public organizations and ethno-cultural associations have taken part in it.
In his speech, Nursultan Nazarbayev highlighted the scale of goal for the country, involving the development of Kazakhstan’s global competitiveness.
The President of Kazakhstan noted the growth of Mangistau’s share in the country’s industry during the years of independence.
– Mangistau region’s economy has increased significantly over the past time. Since gaining independence, the gross regional product has increased 32 times, exceeding two trillion tenge. 7 million square meters of housing have been built. In 2016, the region attracted 400 billion tenge of investments or 12 times more than in 2000, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The Kazakh leader underlined Mangistau region’s significant energy, industrial and logistics and transportation potential.
– Located in the heart of Eurasia, Kazakhstan has always been considered a landlocked country. Today we have successfully coped with the continental isolation. We have put up a modern seaport in Aktau, figuratively speaking, “opened a window to the outside world”, the President of Kazakhstan summed up.
The Head of the State has also mentioned “Aktau Sea Port” active special economic zone as a successful example of multi-faceted development.
Nursultan Nazarbayev particularly dwelled on the need to use the significant potential of cross-border cooperation.
– Kazakhstan has always maintained friendly relations with its neighbors. Just yesterday I visited Azerbaijan. We have lots of room for widening cooperation. Mutual trade turnover between Mangistau region and Azerbaijan has grown fivefold only in the past two years. Your region is the most important transit hub connecting Kazakhstan with global and regional markets. We must make full use of this huge potential, the Head of State stressed.
At the same time the President of Kazakhstan noted achievements in the region’s social sphere.
– The number of the region’s residents has doubled over the years of Independence, amounting to 640 thousand people, and life expectancy grows. 271,000 children had been born in the intervening years, and that is the highest rate in the country. Over 125 thousand people returned to the historical land: that is a whole city. For a quarter of a century the number of medical institutions has increased two and a half times, and schools twice. 229 kindergartens have been brought into use, Nursultan Nazarbayev noted.
In turn, E. Tugzhanov, Mangistau region’s akim, reported on the socio-economic situation in the region and the prospects for its development.
The public representatives expressed their gratitude to the Head of State for his constant attention to the issues of regional development and effective state policy.
In conclusion, the President of Kazakhstan has turned attention to the need for preserving the policy of unity, harmony and friendship, which is the key to the country’s successful development and wished all Mangistau people strong health, prosperity and well-being.
3 April 2017
Working trip to Mangistau region
Nursultan Nazarbayev has arrived in Aktau. During the trip it is planned to visit “Mangystau Arena Sports Club” multifunctional sporting complex, Aktau Sea Northern Terminal, and “Azersun Production and Logistics Center” LLP.
It is also arranged that the Head of State will meet the public of the region within his working trip.
3 April 2017
Visiting “Mangystau Arena Sports Club” multifunctional sporting complex
In the course of the visit the Head of the State got acquainted with the sports facility activity and inspected the gym for wrestling and a multifunctional hall.
Nursultan Nazarbayev has also spoken to the representatives of the city’s sports community, including A.Tuyakov, the multiple champion and record-holder of the USSR in the sprint, A.Niyazymbetov, the silver medalist of the world championships in boxing and the Olympic Games, as well as other famous athletes, coaches and veterans of sports.
The athletes thanked the Head of the State for the comprehensively provided support and constant concern.
The complex has been built at the expense of sponsorship organizations and is intended for football, basketball, volleyball, and there are gyms for single combats and track and field athletics.
3 April 2017
Participation in flower-laying ceremonies to the Eternal Flame at the Martyrs’ Lane and laying a wreath to the grave of Heydar Aliyev, Azerbaijan’s National Leader
The Republic of Azerbaijan, Baku
Nursultan Nazarbayev has laid flowers to the Eternal Flame at the Alley of Martyrs, where Azerbaijan’s heroic sons are buried, who fell for the sake of the country’s freedom and territorial integrity.
The Head of the State has also laid a wreath at the grave of Heydar Aliyev, the National Leader of Azerbaijan, and his wife Zarifa Aliyeva.
3 April 2017
Meeting with Ilham Aliyev, President of the Republic of Azerbaijan
The Republic of Azerbaijan, Baku
The talks took place in a narrow format after the meeting’s official ceremony at the presidential “Zagulba” residence between the two leaders.
The state and prospects of development of political, trade-economic and cultural-humanitarian cooperation, as well as topical issues of the international and regional agenda have been under consideration.
Nursultan Nazarbayev has made point of traditionally friendly nature of bilateral relations between Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan, conditioned by long-standing historical and cultural ties.
Our Head of State underscored that under the current conditions the new trends in the world economy can impart a serious dynamics to the development of further partnership between the two countries.
⁃ We see that the ongoing crisis in the world is causing serious damage to national economies. At the same time, it allows using hidden opportunities of creating new joint ventures. We should pay attention to innovative technologies diversifying the economy, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of the State noted the need for building up interaction across the whole spectrum of bilateral cooperation, and the transit and transport potential development of Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan is among them.
⁃ This meeting should serve as a new impetus for launching our relations in a new format allowing us to more closely develop the cooperation of our countries, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of the State has also taken note of mutual understanding and closeness of the positions of both states in the international sphere. In addition, Nursultan Nazarbayev congratulated Ilham Aliyev on the Referendum held in 2016, when Azerbaijan’s nation supported changes in the Constitution aimed at the presidential powers’ prolongation.
In turn, Ilham Aliyev noted the significance of the visit of the President of Kazakhstan within the context of further deepening and broadening of cooperation.
⁃ I am confident that the documents currently being prepared to be inked will contribute to further deepening of bilateral relations. Kazakhstan is friendly and fraternal for us, and we attach great importance to the present meeting, Aliyev said.
The President of Azerbaijan has also noted Kazakhstan’s achievements under the leadership of Nursultan Nazarbayev.
3 April 2017
Negotiations with Ilham Aliyev, the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, in expanded format
The Republic of Azerbaijan, Baku
During the meeting the two leaders have reviewed a wide range of issues of cooperation between the two countries, including political interaction, trade, economic and cultural-humanitarian relations.
⁃ Economy is the basis of any state. Deals in various sectors, transport and communication sphere in particular, promise great opportunities for our countries, the President of Kazakhstan noted.
Nursultan Nazarbayev noted that the strategic ways of bilateral relations’ development are outlined in the adopted joint statement.
⁃ We have given consideration to all the issues on the agenda. The documents prepared for being endorsed are a kind of stage in our relations’ development. I think there is a real possibility of a significant increase in trade turnover between our countries, the Head of the State said.
The President of Kazakhstan stressed our country’s interest in all-round interaction with Baku, and there is appropriate potential for its extension. At the same time, trade and economic cooperation is the locomotive of bilateral relations.
⁃There is a large number of ethnic Azerbaijanis, citizens of Kazakhstan, in our country. These people, creating their businesses and doing business, are a kind of “bridge” between the two states, contributing to further strengthening of friendly relations, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In addition, the President of Kazakhstan has drawn attention to the issues of expanding humanitarian ties, which were also discussed during the talks.
⁃ It is necessary to give due attention to the issues of student exchange, holding the Days of Culture in both countries. That will serve to raise these ties to a whole new level, the Head of the State said.
In turn, the President of Azerbaijan stressed that the election of Kazakhstan as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council serves as the indicator of recognizing Kazakhstan’s role in the world arena and the authority of Nursultan Nazarbayev personally.
⁃ Your initiatives, not only regional but also the worldwide, deserve great respect. We express satisfaction with our bilateral relations’ growth. Today’s constructive exchange of views shows the similarity of positions on many issues under discussion, Ilham Aliyev said.
Azerbaijan’s leader has also turned attention to the positive dynamics of bilateral economic cooperation development.
⁃ We are beginning to see positive results of the two states’ investment activities. In turn, this activity will stimulate the development of small and medium-sized businesses, the President of Azerbaijan said.
3 April 2017
Briefing for the media after the official visit to the Republic of Azerbaijan
The Republic of Azerbaijan, Baku
The Head of the State noted that the entire range of questions introduced for discussion had been under consideration during the meeting.
– Trade remains the fundamental pillar of our interrelationship, and it provides opportunities for developing other areas of interaction. Today’s meeting has brought to light the need for commercial exchange boost, as the existing volume of $ 140 million does not meet our interests, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The Head of the State has taken a note of a large unrealized reserve of bilateral trade and economic ties.
– Our countries should use it to further increase bilateral trade. Kazakhstan is prepared to supply metallurgical products, and the locomotives already exported to Azerbaijan. Only the volume of vegetable produce from Azerbaijan has increased 12 times in one year. We can increase the trade turnover up to 500 million US dollars, taking into account the concerted actions in the short term, the President of Kazakhstan concluded.
Nursultan Nazarbayev has further brought into focus the priority of developing the transport and transit sphere of the two countries.
– A railway line from the Chinese border to the Caspian Sea with a length of about 2000 km has been built in Kazakhstan, as well as “Western Europe-Western China” highway, which bring their results. At present, there is a question of sending goods from China to Europe through the Caucasus and the Caspian Sea. Thus, there is a great potential for Azerbaijan, the Head of State said.
The President of Kazakhstan called the cooperation in the field of energy strategic, where both countries are important stakeholders in the global market.
– We are seeking for maintaining the uninterrupted delivery of oil and oil products to the world markets, through the territory of Azerbaijan as well. When launching major projects in Kazakhstan, we try to provide background for local content in manufacturing equipment or other products. In this regard, we have discussed the possibility of establishing joint industrial enterprises in those areas where the parties have experience and achievements, Nursultan Nazarbayev summed up.
The Head of State noted that during the meeting the matters of cooperation between our countries within the framework of international and regional organizations had been talked over.
– Kazakhstan, being a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council, will focus on the existing regional problems. As for the Azerbaijani-Armenian conflict, our country adheres to the agreements reached within the framework of the UN Resolutions. Kazakhstan maintains good relations with all countries and always calls for peaceful regulation of conflicts, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The President of Kazakhstan separately dwelled on the issue of the need for cooperation in the field of combating terrorism.
Nursultan Nazarbayev, noting common cultural and historical values and the absence of unresolved problems in relations, pointed to the possibility of further effective interaction on the widest range of issues.
– Cooperation in this area is very deep and is supported by close ties of the creative intelligentsia, educational institutions and research organizations. Representatives of the 130-thousand Azerbaijani diaspora living in Kazakhstan are the important link between our states, the Head of State has underlined.
In conclusion, the Head of the State expressed his gratitude to the President and the people of Azerbaijan for the hospitality extended, wishing success and prosperity.
The President of Kazakhstan invited Ilham Aliyev to participate as an honorary guest in the SCO meeting and the opening of “EXPO-2017” trade show in Astana.
In his turn, Ilham Aliyev noted the solid basis of relations, the evidence of which are the negotiations held and a package of the endorsed documents.
The leader of Azerbaijan noted the fruitfulness of cooperation between the two countries in the international arena.
⁃ Active development of political interaction is observed within the framework of various international and regional structures. Once again, I congratulate Nursultan Nazarbayev personally and Kazakhstan’s nation on the election as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council, Ilham Aliyev said.
The President of Azerbaijan emphasized the fact that during the visit the whole range of trade and economic cooperation was given detailed consideration.
⁃ The decision has been taken on holding a meeting of the interdepartmental government commission in the short term. We will discuss our countries’ out-bound positions, which will make bilateral trade grow. Increase of investments from Azerbaijan into Kazakhstan’s economy and vice versa is encouraging. That is of great interest for both sides, Ilham Aliyev said.
In conclusion, the Azerbaijani leader stressed the constructive nature of the discussion of the entire block of trade, economic, transport and energy issues during the bilateral talks.
Within the official visit of the Head of the State to Azerbaijan, the following documents have been inked:
⁃ Agreement on strategic cooperation between “Kazakhstan Temir Zholy” National Company” JSC and “Azerbaijan Railways” CJSC in the field of logistics and railway transport engineering;
– Protocol between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan on introducing amendments and additions to the Convention between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan on avoiding double taxation and preventing tax evasion with respect to income and property taxes as of 16 September 1996;
– Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan on international highway service;
– Program of cooperation between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan for 2017-2018;
– Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan on cooperation in the field of quarantine and plant protection;
– Joint Declaration of Nursultan Nazarbayev, the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, and Ilham Aliyev, the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan.