August 29, 2017
Meeting with IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano
Astana, the Hilton Hotel
During the meeting, the Head of the State greeted Amano’s visit to Kazakhstan, timed to the opening of the IAEA Low Enriched Uranium Bank.
– Today’s event is the result of many years of joint work on the creation of a low enriched uranium bank. For Kazakhstan this is a very important event, “said the President of Kazakhstan.
Nursultan Nazarbayev stressed that Kazakhstan acts as the leader of the global anti-nuclear movement.
“As a state possessing large volumes of uranium-containing raw materials, we contribute to the peaceful use of atomic energy,” the Head of State noted.
The President of Kazakhstan also noted the comprehensive and strengthening character of our country’s cooperation with the Agency.
In his turn, the Director General of the IAEA thanked Nursultan Nazarbayev for the reception given to the delegation.
“This event became possible, first of all, thanks to your personal support and participation, as well as our fruitful cooperation,” Amano said.
In addition, the Director General of the Agency noted that along with the opening of the storage building of low-enriched uranium, issues of procurement and transportation of this type of raw materials are also important.
August 29, 2017
Participation in the opening ceremony of the building of the Bank of Low Enriched Uranium of the IAEA
Astana, Hilton Hotel
During the ceremony, the President of Kazakhstan handed over to the IAEA Director General Yuri Amano the symbolic keys from the Bank of low-enriched uranium placed on the site of the Ulba Metallurgical Plant.
Speaking with a welcoming speech, the Head of State noted the special significance of today’s event for both Kazakhstan and the entire world community.
Nursultan Nazarbayev stressed that during the years of independence the country has made a rapid way – from the holder of the world’s fourth nuclear arsenal to the country-leader of global non-proliferation.
– On this day, August 29, 1991, my decree closed the world’s largest Semipalatinsk nuclear test site. And today throughout the world, August 29 is celebrated as the International Day Against Nuclear Tests. The second problem was the presence of Kazakhstan’s powerful nuclear arsenal. It is the efforts of Kazakhstan that have shown the way to other countries that have faced the problem of nuclear arsenals, “said the President of Kazakhstan.
The Head of State noted that by providing the IAEA with the possibility to place the Low Enriched Uranium Bank, Kazakhstan made its contribution to strengthening the non-proliferation regime and creating a unique mechanism for the safe supply of nuclear fuel.
– I emphasize: the bank of the LEU will function under the full control of the IAEA and will be in its official legal possession. Therefore, I express my gratitude to the leadership of the IAEA and the donors of the Bank for their great contribution to this important project, “said Nursultan Nazarbayev.
The President of Kazakhstan drew attention to the urgency of the development of nuclear power and talked about the prospects for its further modernization.
– We are the largest producer of uranium and are ready to play an important role in the world energy. Also, Kazakhstan is in the mainstream of a global “green” trend. That is why in Astana we are holding an international exhibition of EXPO, dedicated to the energy of the future, “the Head of State said.
In addition, Nursultan Nazarbayev separately welcomed the participants of the 62nd session of the Pugwash movement of scientists on global issues and congratulated them on the 60th anniversary of the Movement.
The President of Kazakhstan dwelled on the problem of the proliferation of nuclear weapons and the harmful consequences of its use for humanity.
“Nuclear weapons are the execution of all humanity.” Nine states of the world contain 16,000 nuclear weapons. But even half of a percent of nuclear arsenals will break the climate and cause a global famine. This means self-destruction, “said the Head of State.
Nursultan Nazarbayev noted the low level of trust between the main nuclear powers, which resulted in the lack of unity in the world community on the issue of global nuclear security.
– Kazakhstan has made its choice. We are consistent supporters of nuclear disarmament and global nuclear security. At the same time, we believe that nuclear safety can only be universal and non-discriminatory. The G-GLOBAL initiative, which unites about 190 countries, is aimed at this, “the President of Kazakhstan said.
The head of state expressed concern over the tightening of the sanctions confrontation between the US and Russia and stressed the importance of preventing the escalation of trade and economic conflicts into a violent confrontation.
– The stability and nuclear security of the 21st century depends primarily on the official nuclear powers. Relations between them are of key and decisive importance for mankind. As for the situation around the DPRK, we strongly support the UN Security Council resolution 2371, “Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The Head of State noted the need for political trust and a system dialogue to return to international relations, and also spoke about Kazakhstan’s contribution to solving world problems.
“We are ready to continue to contribute in the peacekeeping direction. In particular, Kazakhstan is ready to promote dialogue on the resolution of the crisis in the southeast of Ukraine. We call on the parties to the conflict to find ways to overcome it, “said the President of Kazakhstan.
Taking into account the current global situation, the Head of State proposed a number of ideas with a view to resolving specific issues of nuclear safety.
– We have repeatedly pointed out that the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons does not justify the hopes placed on it. In particular, the countries of the “nuclear club” do not disclose information on nuclear programs on a voluntary basis. Other countries provide the IAEA with exhaustive information. It is necessary to reduce the imbalance in the approaches between the “nuclear five” and the rest of the world. In 2020, the world community will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the entry into force of the NPT. Let us make efforts to reach a deadline by that time, the Treaty on the complete prohibition of nuclear weapons also came into force, “said Nursultan Nazarbayev.
Along with this, the President of Kazakhstan proposed to legalize the status of all de-facto nuclear states and convene a summit of the countries possessing nuclear weapons.