June 10, 2018
Participation in the meeting of the Council of Heads of State of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization in an expanded format
Qingdao, People’s Republic of China
During the meeting in an expanded format, the heads of state and members of the official delegations discussed issues of further cooperation under the new conditions, and exchanged views on topical issues on the international and regional agenda.
The President of Kazakhstan thanked the President of the People’s Republic of China Xi Jinping for the traditional hospitality and excellent conditions for holding a meeting of the Council, and also welcomed the Indian and Pakistani parties, who for the first time take part in the work of the summit as full members.
“With the accession of India and Pakistan during the Astana summit, the SCO has significantly strengthened its role as an influential participant in regional and international policy,” Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The President of Kazakhstan stressed the importance of the consistent implementation of the Treaty on the Long-Term Good-Neighborliness, Friendship and Cooperation of the SCO Member States as a pledge to strengthen political dialogue and confidence, ensure security and development throughout the Organization.
– The combined strength of the three-billion human potential of our countries should be used to enhance the economic cooperation of the SCO. It is important to ensure the transition to the implementation of trade and investment projects between our countries from a bilateral to a multilateral level. We are in favor of creating joint mechanisms for financing projects and mobilizing technological resources within the framework of the Organization, “Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In order to create a common platform for the development of joint modern productions and the expansion of electronic commerce, the Head of State introduced the idea of creating a platform for the exchange of experience in the field of digitalization and new technologies.
For high-quality economic growth, the President of Kazakhstan proposed to implement infrastructure “megaprojects”, which should provide a powerful multiplicative effect and will enable the use of the scientific, financial and human potential of the SCO member states.
– The implementation of the Eurasian high-speed railway (EBMM) on the Beijing-Astana-Moscow-Berlin route can become such a project. The implementation of these projects will unite the promising format of cooperation between the SCO-EEA, and in the future, hopefully, the EU, “Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In addition, the President of Kazakhstan spoke about the launch of the International Financial Center “Astana”, which will embody the best models of the world’s leading financial centers and will have a positive impact on the economy of Kazakhstan and the development of the financial system of all SCO countries.
In the context of cultural, humanitarian and scientific cooperation of the SCO countries, the Head of State highlighted the implementation of the initiative of the International Academy of Sciences of the Silk Road, which he announced last year in Beijing.
– Today, representatives of scientific institutions of some 30 countries signed a constituent document on the creation of this Academy and are ready to engage in scientific and expert support for the project “One Belt, One Way,” said the President of Kazakhstan.
Noting the significant experience of Kazakhstan in the sphere of inter-confessional consent and its contribution to the development of the dialogue of cultures and civilizations, Nursultan Nazarbayev said that the Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions is held in Astana and invited the delegations of the countries to participate in the VI Congress, which will be held on October 10-11 This year, under the motto “Religious leaders for a safe world.”
Nursultan Nazarbayev drew attention of the meeting participants to the fact that Kazakhstan constantly makes efforts to ensure global and regional stability.
– Kazakhstan is committed to the economically sustainable and safe development of Afghanistan. In this regard, we have been providing financial assistance to Kabul for many years, “the Head of State stated.
The President of Kazakhstan noted that for a short period of time the Astana negotiation process on the settlement of the crisis in Syria has established itself as an effective mechanism for achieving peace in this country.
– Kazakhstan stands for the achievement of the nuclear-free status of the Korean peninsula exclusively by peaceful means. Consistently supports and contributes to the conclusion of the agreement on the Iranian nuclear program. We are in favor of maintaining and further rigorous implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, “Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In conclusion, the Head of State thanked Chairman Xi Jinping of China for effective and successful chairmanship in the SCO and wished Kyrgyzstan the same fruitful work in this post.
– The success of the Organization largely depends on our coordinated actions, the convergence of approaches on topical issues of the world and regional agenda. I am sure that by this we guarantee a timely response to any emerging challenges and threats of our time, “said the President of Kazakhstan.
June 8, 2018
Participation in the ceremony of laying flowers at the Monument to the National Heroes
Beijing, People’s Republic of China
During the state visit, the President of Kazakhstan laid flowers to the People’s Heroes Monument, located on Tiananmen Square, and honored the memory of the sons of the Chinese people who gave their lives during the national liberation struggle of the XIX-XX centuries.
The monument is dedicated to events reflecting the history of China’s revolutionary movement in the period from the First Opium War of 1840 to the founding of the People’s Republic of China in 1949.
June 6, 2018
State visit to the People’s Republic of China
Beijing, People’s Republic of China
The head of state arrived in Beijing. During the visit, high-level meetings with Chinese President Xi Jinping, Premier of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China Li Keqiang, Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress of China Li Zhanshu, representatives of Kazakhstani and Chinese business circles, as well as joint signing of a number of bilateral documents are planned.
June 1, 2018
Participation in the solemn ceremony of awarding diplomas to graduates of Nazarbayev University
Astana, Nazarbayev University
Speaking to the participants of the ceremony, the Head of State noted that this year more than 140 thousand students across the country will graduate from universities and become holders of well-deserved diplomas.
– Today we are going to wish a good journey to the pupils of the best educational institution in Kazakhstan. On the day of the fourth graduation out of the Nazarbayev University, from the bottom of my heart I want to congratulate you and all the graduates of the country! – said the President of Kazakhstan.
Nursultan Nazarbayev emphasized the importance and role of research universities in the formation of the knowledge economy and innovative development, and also stressed that within a short period of time the University became a symbol of renewal, the key to the growth of the country’s scientific, research, innovation and personnel potential.
– Scientists of Nazarbayev University have published more than 1,700 publications in high-ranking international publications. 36 patents have been received. More than 40 grants have been allocated for scientific research by corporate sponsors. The university became the basis for the successful formation of an innovative cluster. 21 projects received support in the framework of the commercialization of the results of scientific and technical activities, “said the President of Kazakhstan.
The head of state noted that further successful development of the University will contribute to the growth of the country’s human capital and will allow the formation of a full-fledged educational hub in Kazakhstan throughout the Central Asian region.
To achieve the goals, Nursultan Nazarbayev instructed to intensify the activities of the University by concentrating advanced intellectual and scientific resources in this university, orienting the training programs on an innovative culture of production and entrepreneurship, and developing a distance education platform.
– The University should become a center of attraction of the “bright minds” not only of our country, but also of near and far abroad countries, a real platform for joint implementation of youth projects, as well as an educational Internet platform similar to the online courses of Harvard, Corser, Khan Academy, – said the President of Kazakhstan.
Touching upon the issue of the five megatrends of global changes announced at the Astana Economic Forum, Nursultan Nazarbayev drew particular attention to the role of the younger generation in carrying out large-scale economic, political and spiritual modernization of the country.
– It is you – the personification of the renewed Kazakhstan, the generation of a new formation – that you will put into practice. Your energy, initiative, mind and creativity are the key to the successful development of our Motherland. You have to go your own unique way of life. I’m proud of each of you! – concluded the President of Kazakhstan.
During the presentation of diplomas with honors, the Head of State congratulated the faculty and graduates of the Nazarbayev University and wished them fruitful realisation of the ideas.
May 30, 2018
Meeting of the Security Council chaired by the Head of State
In accordance with the agenda, the meeting discussed the implementation of structural and institutional reforms in the country, as well as the socio-economic development of the North-Kazakhstan region.
Opening the meeting, the Head of State focused on the implemented measures to preserve economic stability, despite the consequences of the global financial crisis of 2008.
– Since the beginning of the global financial crisis, 10 years have passed. The situation is changed. To overcome the crisis, we developed special programs, adopted a “road map”, and showed concern for people who lost their jobs. Many measures have been implemented. We attracted foreign investments and used our own resources, which allowed us to get out of the crisis without recession of the national economy, “said the President of Kazakhstan.
Nursultan Nazarbayev pointed to the need to develop new development programs taking into account global trends and the prevailing geopolitical situation.
– The Administration of the President and the Government should consider the further ways of our development. We need to make predictions for taking appropriate measures in the future. We must have a clear vision for further actions, “said the Head of State.
The President of Kazakhstan separately focused on the effectiveness of the implementation of existing state and sectoral programs, pointing out the importance of their timely and high-quality execution.
Nursultan Nazarbayev drew attention to the need to take appropriate measures on further development of agro-industrial sector and to attract investments in the processing industry.
The head of state pointed out that the activities of state bodies should be aimed at improving the well-being of citizens of the country.
– All of our work is aimed at increasing the incomes of the population. If it does not happen, then the government does not cope, – the President of Kazakhstan stressed.
In addition, Nursultan Nazarbayev focused on issues of employment, introduction of a system of compulsory social health insurance, support of small and medium-sized businesses, as well as vocational training and employment of young people.
During the meeting Prime Minister B.Sagintayev, Chairman of the National Bank D.Akishev, General Prosecutor K.Kozhamzharov, and akim of the North-Kazakhstan region K.Aksakalov delivered reports.
Following the meeting, the President of Kazakhstan gave a number of specific instructions to the Government and other relevant state bodies, placing control over their execution on the Presidential Administration and the staff of the Security Council.
May 29, 2018
Meeting with the Chairman of the Agency for Civil Service and Anti-Corruption Alik Shpekbayev
During the meeting, the Head of State was presented with a report on the work carried out by the agency in the field of public service and measures taken to counter corruption.
Nursultan Nazarbayev was also informed about the implementation of the pilot project on the introduction of a factor-point payment system in the civil service.
The President of Kazakhstan paid special attention to the importance of increasing the effectiveness of the fight against corruption and pointed out the expediency of carrying out appropriate preventive measures.
– It is necessary to strengthen work on fighting corruption in all spheres. First, it is necessary to carry out appropriate monitoring and continue the activity of transferring public services to digital format. Secondly, it is necessary to solve the issue of the salaries of civil servants. Third, it is important to increase the responsibility of the leadership, “the Head of State said.
During the meeting, Alik Shpekbayev also provided information on the measures taken to implement the anti-corruption policy and the results of its assessment by the international expert community.
Following the meeting, Nursultan Nazarbayev gave a number of specific instructions.