27- 28 March 2017
Visit to the Dubai International Financial Centerand had a Meeting with Sheikh Muḥammad bin Rāshid al Maktūm, Vice-President, Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Emir of Dubai
The United Arab Emirates, Dubai
The Head of the State, during the working visit to the United Arab Emirates, has held a meeting with the leadership of the Dubai International Financial Center (DIFC).
Nursultan Nazarbayev got acquainted with the activities of the DIFC during the talks, and was informed about further prospects for the Center’s growth.
The President of Kazakhstan was provided with information on the DIFC contribution to Dubai’s GDP, which grew by 8% since the establishment of that structure. There is also a considerable increase in registered companies in DIFC and a fundamental evolution of its infrastructure.
The Head of the State stressed that Kazakhstan is studying and applying the experience of the UAE in “Astana” International Financial Center’s (AIFC) activity, noting that a number of necessary steps and measures have already been implemented for that organization’s efficient work.
Nursultan Nazarbayev shared his vision of the AIFC development as the leading financial structure in the Eurasian region, created on the basis of the Astana Center.
The sides have discussed the results and prospects for further bilateral cooperation at the end of the talks.
In the course of the negotiations the sides discussed the current state and further development of cooperation between the two countries. Among other things the issues of cooperation in trade, economic, financial and investment spheres have been under consideration.
The Head of our State noted the high rate of growth of the Dubai International Financial Center (DIFC) and the city of Dubai.
Nursultan Nazarbayev has made a point of exchanging experience with the UAE in terms of good management of financial assets, as well as the need for establishing close ties between the DIFC and the AIFC (Astana International Financial Center). In turn, the Emir of Dubai has confirmed his readiness for full cooperation in that direction.
The President of Kazakhstan thanked the Sheikh for his special achievements in progress and implementation of Islamic financing.
In addition, the Head of our State spoke about the completion of preparations for EXPO-2017 trade show and plans for the subsequent use of exhibition facilities for the AIFC activity.
At the end of the meeting the Kazakh leader has invited the UAE Prime Minister to the opening of “EXPO-2017” in Astana.
23 March 2017
Meeting with Shavkat Mirziyoyev, the President of Uzbekistan, who is on a state visit in Kazakhstan
During the talks in private, the issues of strengthening cooperation in key areas of bilateral cooperation have been discussed.
Nursultan Nazarbayev, greeting the President of Uzbekistan on the land of Kazakhstan, noted that it is Shavkat Mirziyoyev’s first visit as the Head of State.
– Kazakhstan wishes prosperity to our strategic partner, neighbor and fraternal people of Uzbekistan. In times to come, we are looking forward to fruitful relations within the framework of bilateral contacts. A certain work has already been accomplished to deepen the interstate partnership. In particular, there is a sharp increase in trade turnover between our countries, the capacity of our borders has increased, and new types of products are being delivered, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of our state drew attention to the fact that Astana hosts a business forum with participation of more than 500 entrepreneurs from Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.
– It is expected that about 75 joint contracts for a total amount of about 1 billion US dollars will be endorsed. Such a forum is being held for the first time in our history. The basis of our relationship was laid by me and Islam Karimov, the first President of Uzbekistan. I hope that we will continue that good tradition in the spirit of fraternal relations, helping each other, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In his turn, Sh. Mirziyoyev thanked the President of Kazakhstan for an open-armed welcome.
– During the visit to Samarkand last year you said that Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan would always be together. These words served as a rapprochement between the two countries; the Uzbek people felt the shoulder of a true friend and brother, the President of Uzbekistan said.
Shavkat Mirziyoyev stressed that relations between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan are currently at their new level of development, and in the international sphere as well.
– In many respects, thanks to your authority, Kazakhstan was elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council. I would like to assure you that all your initiatives will be supported by Uzbekistan. Much attention is now being paid to regional cooperation. I hope that present meetings will serve as a basis for further effective cooperation between our countries, the President of Uzbekistan noted.
The leaders expressed hope that the current visit will give a new impetus to the Kazakh-Uzbek cooperation in a wide range of areas.
23 March 2017
Negotiations with Shavkat Mirziyoyev, the President of Uzbekistan, in an expanded format
The sides have exchanged views on present issues on the current agenda, as well as discussed strategic directions for the development of bilateral cooperation during the talks.
– Your first state visit as a President takes place during the days of Nauryz celebrations and the year of the 25th anniversary of the diplomatic relations establishment between our states. Kazakhstan is prepared to create all conditions for the visit of Uzbekistan’s delegation to be productive, the Head of our State said.
The President of Kazakhstan stressed that over a quarter of a century of cooperation 100 agreements had been signed in various fields, the key ones being the Treaty of Eternal Friendship and the Treaty on Strategic Partnership.
Nursultan Nazarbayev separately noted the contribution of the first President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov to the strengthening of relations between the two countries.
– Similarity of history, language and traditions, the neighborhood of our peoples have predetermined close Kazakh-Uzbek interaction in the cultural and humanitarian sphere. Diasporas living in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan attach special importance to our relations. They are a “living bridge” between the two countries. Our policy on deepening friendship and cooperation with your country remains unchanged, the President of Kazakhstan emphasized.
The Head of the State called trade and economic cooperation between Astana and Tashkent the core of bilateral relations. Nursultan Nazarbayev stressed that despite the decline in the market prices in 2016 by 9%, the trade between countries increased by 16% in physical terms.
– To date, about 800 operating enterprises with participation of Uzbek capital are represented in Kazakhstan. At this time Astana hosts a business forum with 250 businessmen from each side. As a result, it is planned to adopt a package of about 75 commercial contracts, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of State noted that since the previous meeting with Shavkat Mirziyoyev in Samarkand, bilateral contacts in the spheres of industry, business, and energy, transport, as well as space and tourism industries had significantly intensified.
At the same time, Nursultan Nazarbayev emphasized the implementation of transit and transport cooperation, including the launch of Astana-Tashkent high-speed rail, as well as new bus and air flights.
At the end of the speech, the Head of the State thanked Shavkat Mirziyoyev for taking a decision on full-scale participation of Uzbekistan in “EXPO-2017” world exhibition, expressing confidence that that would allow demonstrating the best achievements of Uzbekistan to the world.
In turn, Shavkat Mirziyoyev expressed gratitude to Kazakhstan’s leadership for confidential negotiations, creating the basis for interstate relations development.
“We interpret this visit as continuation of the open dialogue that took place between us in Samarkand. Today’s business forum is an indicator of serious intentions of the Uzbek side in trade and economic relations’ development, the President of Uzbekistan said.
The President of Uzbekistan emphasized Nursultan Nazarbayev’s role in strengthening the friendship of the peoples of the two states. He also noted the importance of establishing interparliamentary and interregional contacts.
The leaders gave a joint briefing for the media at the end of the meeting.
Following the meeting of the Presidents of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, the following documents have been inked:
– Joint Declaration on further deepening of strategic partnership and strengthening of good-neighborliness between the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Republic of Uzbekistan;
– Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of the Republic of Uzbekistan on interregional cooperation;
– Strategy of economic cooperation between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of the Republic of Uzbekistan for 2017-2019;
– Protocol on amendments and additions to the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of the Republic of Uzbekistan on avoidance of double taxation of income and property;
– Protocol on amendments and additions to the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Uzbekistan and the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan on International Road Transport dated March 20, 2006;
– Program of cooperation between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Uzbekistan for 2017-2018;
– Agreement between the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Uzbekistan on military cooperation.
23 March 2017
Telegram of condolences to Theresa May, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, in connection with the terrorist act in London
The Head of State took with deep sorrow the news about the death of civilians as a result of the terrorist act near the Parliament of Great Britain.
“This action is regarded as a terrorist act against the entire civilized world. Sharing the bitterness of loss, I express my sincere condolences to the people and the Government of the United Kingdom, as well as to the families and friends of the victims,” the condolence says.
The telegram also says that Kazakhstan harshly condemns any forms of terrorism manifestations and calls to unite international efforts in the fight against that evil.