21 November 2016
Participation in the VII Congress of Judges of Kazakhstan
Astana, Palace of Independence
The Congress was attended by representatives of the country’s judiciary, MPs corps, heads of governmental institutions, as well as representatives of the legal community, international organizations, media and NGOs.
In his speech, the President noted that during the years of independence, special attention had been paid to the formation of a modern judicial system and adequate fundamental reforms carried out in Kazakhstan.
– The ultimate goal of judicial reform is independent and incorruptible judiciary, where the main thing is honesty and professionalism of judges, justice and access to justice, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The President of Kazakhstan emphasized that the adopted Nation’s Plan “100 Specific Steps” covers the whole range of law enforcement and the courts.
– The key point of that reform is the judiciary, without modernization of which all our other measures cannot work, the Head of State said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev highlighted the initiated modernization of the judicial system as part of the Nation’s Plan.
– A multi-tier judicial system has been eliminated, proceedings in investment disputes based on IT-technologies have been introduced, and audio and video recording of court proceedings has been widely implemented. We are creating “Astana” International Financial Centre with the English law to be made use of, as well as the standards of leading financial centers will be applied. The range of using a trial jury is to be expanded with the most tightened requirements for judges, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev also drew attention to the consistent strengthening of a private bailiff institution.
At the same time, the President of Kazakhstan underscored that there is still a lot of work to improve the judicial system, designating the basic perspective directions of justice development.
– There are basic goals for the courts in Kazakhstan under current conditions. The first one is the rule of law; the court plays the leading role in solving that problem. The second one is strengthening of the accountability of judges that does not mean encroachment on their independence. The third one is forming the dignified judiciary establishment. The fourth is ensuring the unity of handling legal matter practices. And the fifth is the question of education in law. Owing to the legal literacy of citizens one can scale back the number of judicial disputes by times, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In addition, the Head of the State noted as the important event adopting the new Code of Ethics of Judges by the Congress.
22 November 2016
Interview for Bloomberg News
The Head of the State had a talk with Bloomberg News representatives, the top-ranked maker of business information for professional market parties.
As part of the interview the President of Kazakhstan replied to the questions as touching key directions of political and socio-economic development. The Kazakh leader has given a perspective of the Eurasian Economic Union members’ cooperation, crucial aspects of the global economy, counterterrorism together with solidifying interaction with foreign states.
23 November 2016
Participation in the meeting on socio-economic development
The meeting was attended by Prime Minister B.Sagintayev, Head of the Presidential Administration A.Dzhaksybekov, Chairman of the National Bank D.Akishev, First Deputy Prime Minister A. Mamin, Deputy Prime Minister – Minister of Agriculture A.Myrzahmetov, Deputy Prime Minister I.Tasmagambetov, Assistant to the President A.Smailov, Minister of Health and Social Development T.Duisenova, Finance Minister B.Sultanov and Minister of National Economy K.Bishimbayev.
During the event the main approaches to important policy documents have been given consideration.
Addressing the gathering, the President said that in September the current year relevant instructions were given at the Government’s enlarged session.
Nursultan Nazarbayev emphasized that the issues of the agricultural sector require careful consideration. The priorities of the agriculture development state program should be the increase in production volumes, increased productivity, diversification of agricultural production, food imports reducing, exports of processed products growing and agricultural cooperation development.
– Our processing plants are filled to capacity only up to 30-40%. With a view of ensuring their full-scale operation one needs raw materials and the development of agricultural cooperation is required in order to increase its supply, the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of the State also noted the high proportion of unproductive self-employed people.
– It is necessary to develop systematic measures to ensure productive employment of the population. It is necessary to involve the unemployed where there are jobs available. Citizens in the regions need to know about employment programs on available vacancies, the President of Kazakhstan said.
At the same time, Nursultan Nazarbayev noted the importance of professional development of rural youth and employment increase in rural areas.
During the meeting the presentations were made by the Deputy Prime Minister – Minister of Agriculture A.Myrzakhmetov, Health and Social Development Minister T.Duisenova and National Economy Minister K.Bishimbaev.
Summarizing the meeting results, Nursultan Nazarbayev approved the conceptual approaches of policy documents under development and enlarged with the task to carefully consider the details, coordinating all the issues with the parties concerned.
24 November 2016
The National Modernization Commission activity session under the chairmanship of the Head of the State
The meeting was attended by Prime Minister B.Sagintayev, Head of the Presidential Administration A.Dzhaksybekov, the National Bank Chairman D.Akishev, the Cabinet members and government agencies’ executives.
The President of Kazakhstan noted that the implementation of the Nation’s Plan “100 Specific Steps” is aimed at strengthening the rule of law, public service system improvement, creation of conditions for business development, social stability strengthening, as well as the formation of the open government accountability to citizens.
– Fulfillment of these five points is the stage of Kazakhstan’s joining the 30 most developed countries, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The Head of the State stressed the importance of moving towards the bonus system of civil servants awarding based on their evaluation, the need for strict observance of the Code of Ethics, relevance of providing civil servants with corporate housing, at transfer, without privatization rights.
The President of Kazakhstan emphasized the importance of career progression based on a competitive selection.
– Advancement on a competitive basis of civil servants taking the subordinate places will be an effective tool to strengthen the principle of meritocracy, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The Head of the State drew attention to the need for competitive procedures upon entering the law enforcement agencies.
– The police image must change in our country. Officers should raise the confidence of the citizens and their activities should be directed to rendering, in the first place, assistance to the population, the President of Kazakhstan said.
At the same time, Nursultan Nazarbayev gave instructions to further study the issue of modernizing the country’s law enforcement agencies with regard to distributing competence and accountability of local police services.
The President also instructed to double down on efforts to establish the International Arbitration Centre at “Astana” International Financial Centre.
The President of Kazakhstan emphasized the special importance of attracting foreign investors, as well as the apportionment of productive power in the country.
In addition, the Head of the State noted the significance of the reforms on introducing the social health insurance.
– I would like us to come very close to solving the matter. Despite the difficulties, that is a very progressive direction. One should get through relevant preliminary and awareness-raising activities, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
During the discussion of actualizing some steps Nursultan Nazarbayev highlighted a number of shortcomings on the part of the Cabinet and other concerned authorities, and instructed to speed up the work.
The President has also instructed to bring up to date the Tourism Concept Development up to 2020, taking into account the priority of domestic tourism.
– We should concentrate all our efforts on regional tourism promotion. That is important both for the economy and the Kazakh identity and unity strengthening, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The President of Kazakhstan emphasized the timeliness of continued betterment activities on public services’ quality increase via “Government for Citizens.”
Nursultan Nazarbayev reminded the parties to the session of the need for intensifying the work and monitoring on all fronts of the Nation’s Plan, as well as private responsibility of senior officials.
In conclusion, the President noted that the purpose of the Nation’s Plan implementation and the key government programs is both achieving a significant positive effect on the economy as a whole and the well-being of every citizen.
25 November 2016
Interview for “Russia 24”
During the conversation the President of Kazakhstan answered questions about the significance of the country’s industrial-innovative development and the state participation in the economic process.
Nursultan Nazarbayev also gave a perspective of cooperation between the Eurasian Economic Union, future possibilities of cooperation with other EAEC intergovernmental economic associations and particular countries.
The Head of the State dwelled on the issues of Kazakhstan’s capital re-branding, boosting the educational level of young people in the country, and trilingualism importance in the educational process.
Nursultan Nazarbayev, among other things, stressed the urgent imperative of the CSTO member states’ unified approach in order to prevent the possible manifestations of terrorism and extremism in Central Asia.
In conclusion Kazakhstan’s President wished success to “Russia 24” television channel.
25 November 2016
Telephone conversation with the Russian President Vladimir Putin
During the conversation Nursultan Nazarbayev and Vladimir Putin have given consideration to the current state and trends of bilateral cooperation.
The two leaders have also exchanged opinions on pressing matters of the regional and international agenda.
The talk has taken place upon the initiative of the Russian party.