10 September 2017
Meeting with the OIC Secretary General, Dr. Yousif bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen, on the sidelines of the OIC Summit on Science and Technology
Astana, Palace of Independence
During the conversation, the Head of State has noted that Kazakhstan is taking all measures to fully participate in the work of this authoritative organization.
– Today’s event is very significant and important. We hope that the results of the Summit will be successful, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In turn, the OIC Secretary General thanked the President of Kazakhstan for the good organization of the Summit.
– Kazakhstan is highly respected in the Islamic world. I would like to express my gratitude personally to you and the nation of Kazakhstan from representatives of all delegations who arrived at today’s Summit, for the warm welcome and high level of the event, the Secretary General said.
Yousif bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen stressed that this is the first Summit of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation in the field of science and technology.
– It can be said with certainty that this is a historic event, when representatives of 57 Islamic countries come together to discuss topical issues in the field of science and technology. I hope that we will be able to discover new facets of this great religion. Unfortunately, terrorist organizations are undermining the image of Islam in the world, the OIC Secretary General said.
The Head of the Organization stressed that today’s meeting in such a large representation became possible due to the authority of the President of Kazakhstan.
Further, the OIC Secretary General shared his plans for the activities of the Organization aimed at developing a unified position of Islamic states on various pressing issues on the international agenda and constructive cooperation with non-Islamic organizations.
Yousif bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen expressed admiration for Astana, the new capital city of Kazakhstan and noted the city’s investment attractiveness.
The President of Kazakhstan noted that represented by Yousif bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen, the Organization has found the effective leader, who will give a new impetus to its development.
– I wish you every success in your activities and I look forward to your support. At present, most of the terrorist attacks take place in Islamic countries. In this regard, your words about the need to jointly combat this evil are more timely than ever, the President of Kazakhstan said.
In conclusion, the Head of State separately made the point of the fact that in the Middle Ages the main scientific discoveries came from the Islamic world.
– It is necessary to always remember that and start working hard. It is for good reason that we are holding the Summit devoted to science and technology in the era of Industry 4.0, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
9 September 2017
Meeting with Recep Tayyip Erdogan, President of the Republic of Turkey
The Head of the State cordially greeted Recep Erdogan on the Kazakh land and thanked for accepting the invitation to make an official visit.
– No matter how many meetings we have held, we always have current issues for discussion. The situation in the world is rather complicated. In this regard, it is necessary to meet and discuss problems more often. Over the past quarter century, the relationship between Kazakhstan and Turkey has been developing purely in a friendly and brotherly way, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The Head of the State noted that at the previous visit of the President of Turkey to Kazakhstan, a number of agreements were reached in the economic sphere.
– Within the agreements, a lot of work is being done, many projects are implemented, some are at the final stage. Problems of a regional nature exist both here and in Turkey, and today’s meeting is an excellent opportunity to discuss these issues, “the President of Kazakhstan emphasized.
Nursultan Nazarbayev appreciated the Turkish President’s intention to take part in the Summit of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation on Science and Technology, which will be held on September 10 in Astana.
In addition, the Head of State drew attention to the upcoming sixth round of Astana talks on the settlement of the armed conflict in Syria, scheduled for September 14 in Astana.
In turn, the President of the Republic of Turkey expressed gratitude to Nursultan Nazarbayev for the invitation to visit Kazakhstan.
– I am very happy to be in Astana. Acquaintance with Kazakhstan for me was marked by a trip to Almaty. Now I am visiting the new city, the new capital of the country and I feel at home in Kazakhstan, Recep Erdogan said.
Recep Erdogan has noted that Turkey is making every effort for economic, political, cultural and military-industrial cooperation with Kazakhstan.
-Currently, the trade turnover between Turkey and Kazakhstan is about $ 2 billion, and I think this is not enough. According to the agreements, our goal is to increase the turnover to $ 5 billion. I believe that the potential of our countries allows us to reach such a level, the Head of the Turkish Republic said.
Recep Erdogan has expressed special gratitude to Nursultan Nazarbayev for his peacekeeping activities aimed at solving regional problems as well.
The President of Turkey stressed the importance of the upcoming September 14, 2017 meeting in Astana on the Syrian issue and expressed hope for its positive impact on the course of the Geneva talks.
9 September 2017
Briefing for media following the official visit of Recep Tayyip Erdogan, President of the Republic of Turkey
During the briefing, the Head of State noted the economic and political proximity of Kazakhstan and Turkey, emphasizing the active development of cooperation between the two countries.
– Turkey is one of the closest economic and political partners of Kazakhstan. Bilateral cooperation is actively developing, meetings are often held at a high level. This year marks the 25th anniversary of establishing diplomatic relations, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev spoke about the activity of more than 1,600 enterprises with participation of Turkish capital and on the further development of joint investment projects.
The Head of State expressed his intention to adopt Turkey’s experience to enhance the transit-transport potential of Kazakhstan.
– Everyone knows that Turkey is a transit state with developed infrastructure. Taking into account this fact, we proposed to develop Kazakhstan’s transport and transit potential jointly with the Turkish side, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev separately focused on the issue of cultural and humanitarian relations between the two countries, emphasizing the importance of mutual exchange of students in higher education institutions.
The Head of State also stressed that during the talks with Recep Erdogan, topical matters of the international agenda were taken into consideration.
– We have similar positions as for the main global issues. There are no misunderstandings between our countries. Astana offered its platform for conducting negotiations on Syria. Thus, we are contributing to this problem’s solution exclusively by peaceful means, the President of Kazakhstan said.
At the end of his speech, Nursultan Nazarbayev thanked the Turkish side for active participation in preparing and holding EXPO-2017 international exhibition.
In his turn, Erdogan expressed hope for continuing the dialogue on the development of relations between the two countries and invited the President of Kazakhstan to visit the Republic of Turkey the following year.
The President of Turkey appreciated Nursultan Nazarbayev’s support provided and the conditions created for Turkish investors and businesspeople working in Kazakhstan.
– I believe that our cooperation will go on to be strengthened. I would like to once again congratulate Kazakhstan on the successful organization of major international events. Your republic is a state that takes one of the leading positions in the Central Asian region. We are pleased with your country’s achievements, Recep Erdogan said.
Ending the speech, the President of Turkey expressed his intention to provide comprehensive support to the implementation of Nurly Zhol Program and thanked the Kazakh side for its hospitality.
Following the official visit of the President of the Republic of Turkey to Kazakhstan, the following documents have been inked:
– Minutes of the 10th meeting of the Intergovernmental Economic Commission;
– Protocol to the Plan of Measures of the Joint Economic Program “New Synergy” for 2017-2020;
– Memorandum of Understanding between Kazakhstan’s Ministry of Investment and Development and “Alsim Alarco” Consortium and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on the construction and operation of “BAKAD” highway.