Kazakhstan President took part in the 14th summit of the Economic Cooperation Organization
The event was also attended by the Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan, President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan, President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov, President of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani, President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev, President of Iran Hassan Rouhani, President of Kyrgyzstan Sadyr Japarov, President of Tajikistan Emomali , President of Uzbekistan Shavkat Mirziyoyev, Secretary General of the Economic Cooperation Organization Hadi Suleimanpur.
At the beginning of his speech, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev expressed gratitude to the fraternal Turkish people and President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the assistance provided to our country in the fight against the pandemic. As the Head of State noted, in the current difficult time, our countries have again become convinced of how important mutual assistance and support at the global level are.
The main focus of the presentation was on overcoming the negative economic consequences of the pandemic.
– Thanks to the implementation of a comprehensive anti-crisis plan, backed by financial resources, Kazakhstan was able to minimize the negative impact of the pandemic and even achieved growth in areas such as construction, agriculture and manufacturing. This year we expect GDP growth by more than 3%, – said Kazakhstan President.
The head of state called cooperation with the ECO one of the priorities of Kazakhstan’s foreign policy. In his opinion, large infrastructure and social projects should become the basis for interaction within the organization. One of the most promising projects is the Trans-Caspian international transport route, which is being formed jointly with China. In particular, in November 2019, a container train was launched on the Xi’an-Istanbul-Prague route, connecting Kazakhstan, China, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey. In April last year, the first container train passed the Xi’an – Izmir route. He covered a distance of about 7000 km in 16 days.
– These are good examples of our interaction. However, we still have a lot to do to ensure sustainable progress. This year we need to ensure the full capacity of the Kazakhstan-Turkmenistan-Iran railway route. Other new routes are also being worked out. It is expected that the high-speed railway from Turkestan to Tashkent will increase the tourism potential of both Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, reduce travel time to two hours and facilitate communication between businessmen and social contacts of our countries, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev said.
The presentation also provided information on Kazakhstan’s participation in infrastructure projects in Afghanistan. Together with Russian and Uzbek partners, our country participates in the construction of the Mazar-i-Sharif-Quetta and Mazar-i-Sharif-Peshawar railways. The growth of bilateral trade with Afghanistan last year was 55%.
Another important priority for our region is food security. The President stressed that Kazakhstan supports all ECO initiatives in the field of agriculture, and urged member states to join the Islamic Organization for Food Security (IOFS), which is headquartered in Nur-Sultan.
– We are working to create a national network of wholesale distribution and logistics centers. Food security and affordability is a shared concern, so we believe there is great potential in joining our efforts to create efficient logistics. Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan are creating an International Center for Trade and Economic Cooperation on the Border, the Head of State emphasized.
Kassym-Jomart Tokayev also focused on the potential of the tourism sector, which, despite the pandemic, remains one of the promising areas of cooperation.
– Kazakhstan intends to bring the share of the tourism industry to 8% of GDP by 2025. We are actively developing the city of Turkestan, sacred to the countries of Central Asia and the entire Turkic world. In 2020 alone, domestic investment in urban infrastructure, tourism and logistics in Turkestan amounted to about $ 1 billion. Turkestan entered the TOP-10 tourist destinations of Kazakhstan, which can become attractive for investors and tourists from your countries, the President said.
As the Head of State emphasized, healthcare can also become a “center of attraction” for foreign investments in Kazakhstan. Competitive tariffs, a highly skilled workforce and many public-private partnership opportunities have attracted Turkish companies that are involved in building new hospitals in Kazakhstan and equipping them with high-tech medical equipment.
– Turkish Rönesans Holding begins construction of its clinics in seven cities of Kazakhstan. We also welcome Orhun Medical, which, together with the Kazakh National Institute of Oncology and Radiology, plans to launch a Tomotherapy Center in Almaty this year. I am sure that the honeycomb
March 3, 2021
President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev received Chairman of the National Bank Erbolat Dossayev
The head of state was informed about the preliminary results of the implementation of the monetary policy in February this year, the prospects for the recovery of the global economy and the impact on inflation of world food prices.
Kassym-Jomart Tokayev was presented with reports on the management of the National Fund’s assets and the state of gold and foreign exchange reserves, as well as updated forecasts of the National Bank on GDP and balance of payments for 2021.
Yerbolat Dossayev reported on the progress of the execution of the instructions of the Head of State on the implementation of the mechanism for the early use of pension savings by citizens of Kazakhstan and the proposals of the National Bank to improve the investment climate.
The President instructed the Governor of the National Bank to accelerate the digitalization of agricultural support measures to ensure the stability of food prices.
Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan Presidents held a joint briefing for the media
As a result of bilateral talks in a narrow and expanded format, Kassym-Zhomart Tokayev and Sadyr Japarov held a joint briefing for representatives of the media.
In his speech, the Head of State emphasized that he regards the first state visit of Sadyr Japarov as President of Kyrgyzstan to Kazakhstan as a manifestation of special respect for our country.
“Kyrgyzstan is for us an allied, good-neighborly, fraternal state and a reliable partner,” Kazakhstan President said.
Kassym-Jomart Tokayev especially noted the historical role of the Elbasy Nursultan Nazarbayev, the First Kazakhstan President, who made an invaluable contribution to the development of relations between the two fraternal countries.
The head of state expressed confidence that the results of the negotiations will give a new impetus to the Kazakh-Kyrgyz strategic partnership, calling it symbolic that the visit of the Kyrgyz leader is taking place in the year of the 30th anniversary of the independence of the two countries.
– Our interests are similar in the political, economic, humanitarian, and military-technical spheres. About 180 documents have been signed between the two countries. Today we adopted a Joint Statement and signed a number of important agreements. Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan actively interact within the framework of the Eurasian Economic Union. Together we are carrying out large-scale work to maintain stability and security in Central Asia, – said Kassym-Jomart Tokayev.
A Kazakhstan President said that during the talks, issues of joint counteraction to coronavirus infection were considered. Kazakhstan confirmed its readiness to send the next batch of medical products and medicines to the Kyrgyz people as humanitarian aid. In addition, the Head of State announced the provision of military-technical assistance to the armed forces of Kyrgyzstan.
Kassym-Jomart Tokayev noted that Kazakhstan is one of the largest trading partners, and is also one of the leading investors in Kyrgyzstan.
– Over the past 15 years, we have invested over $ 1 billion in this country. Kazakh investors are making a significant contribution to supporting key sectors of the Kyrgyz economy and improving the social situation. Particular attention is paid to the creation of new jobs, the development of the manufacturing sector, and the financial market. In this regard, we agreed to support and protect mutual investments, the Kazakhstan President said.
The head of state spoke about the agreements aimed at reducing trade barriers, strengthening interaction between the customs and tax authorities of the two countries, and introducing digital technologies into their work.
Kassym-Jomart Tokayev also informed that in order to strengthen the export potential and expand ties between small and medium-sized businesses, in the near future, the Kazakh delegation will visit Kyrgyzstan with a special visit.
An important issue on the bilateral agenda is increasing the capacity on the Kazakh-Kyrgyz border in order to improve the conditions of movement of our citizens and trade flows.
– In this regard, measures are being taken to increase the throughput of border posts. One of the striking proofs of this work is the modernization of “Kordai” (Akzhol), the largest point. Comfortable conditions for crossing the border will be created. The equipment has been updated, an eight-lane highway has been built, and this work will be continued, the passport control regime has been improved. All this will significantly increase the flow of passengers and transport between the two countries. Kazakhstan is ready to open this facility in the near future. According to the agreement, the Kyrgyz side will also complete the relevant work in the near future, the Head of State said.
The Kazakhstan President also dwelled on the agreement reached on building up interaction through interregional cooperation. According to him, there is a need for the earliest possible holding of the first Forum of Interregional Cooperation, as well as the creation of a trade and logistics center for the registration and processing of goods in the border zone.
Another point of the negotiations was the discussion of water and energy cooperation.
– It is worth noting that our interaction in the Shu and Talas river basins today is an example for many countries. We have a joint Commission on the use of interstate water facilities. Kazakhstan annually provides financial assistance for the repair and operation of these facilities. Over the past ten years, we have allocated more than 1 billion tenge for this purpose. We will continue to work on this issue in a bilateral format, as well as with other partners in the region. On the issues of rivers, we need effective interaction, this is the only way we can avoid disagreements, – said Kassym-Jomart Tokayev.
In his speech, the Head of State also dwelt on the prospects for cultural and humanitarian cooperation.
“We agreed to hold cross-cultural days of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. A monument to Abai will be put in Bishkek, while in Nur-Sultan – monuments to Manas and Chingiz Aitmatov. In addition, we will join forces to research and promote the rich historical heritage of our peoples,” he informed.