August 24, 2018
Participation in the meeting of the heads of the founding states of the International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea
After the welcoming ceremony, the heads of state held meetings in a narrow and enlarged format.
The President of Kazakhstan stressed the symbolism of holding the summit in the year of the 25th anniversary of the creation of the International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea and noted that from the very first days of functioning of this important region the work is directed towards solving complex socioeconomic, water and environmental problems in the Aral Sea basin and the Aral Sea.
– IFAS actively cooperates at the international level, thanks to which the Aral region receives substantial assistance from the international community and international financial institutions. Our joint efforts contributed to the fact that the Fund received observer status in the UN General Assembly, “Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The head of state pointed out that the transboundary water resources of Central Asia are the common property and good of the peoples of the region and stressed that all states actively seek solutions, rational ideas and specific projects are generated.
– At the initiative of the Turkmen side, the issue of adopting the United Nations Special Program for the countries of the Aral Sea basin under the aegis of the United Nations is under consideration. At the suggestion of the Tajik side, the UN General Assembly declared the International Decade for Action “Water for Sustainable Development” in 2018. The Uzbek side at a high level in June this year in Tashkent hosted the Central Asian International Environmental Forum. On the initiative of the Kyrgyz side, with the support of UN agencies, a “Strategic Action Program for the Chu and Talas River Basins” was developed, “the President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev said that Kazakhstan is also actively working in this direction and invited the delegations of the countries to participate in the Eighth Session of the Meeting of the Parties to the UN Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes, which will be held in Astana on October 10-12 this year.
The head of state separately dwelled on the positive results that became possible due to the joint efforts being undertaken.
– As a result of the large-scale project “Regulation of the Syrdarya river bed and preservation of the northern part of the Aral Sea,” the ecological situation in the lower reaches of the Syr Darya River has significantly improved. The Northern Aral has been restored, where since 2010 the water level is kept at a stable level of 42 meters, the salinity of water is decreasing, the forage base of the sea, flora and fauna are being restored. The microclimate and social conditions in the Kazakhstan part of the Aral Sea have improved. A number of fish processing enterprises have been opened, whose products are exported abroad, “said the President of Kazakhstan.
Nursultan Nazarbayev drew attention to the fact that the topical issues, the tasks of the IFAS, aimed at improving the efficiency of the organization and coordinating joint efforts, were discussed in detail in the narrow structure, and separately focused on the measures proposed by the Kazakh side.
– It is necessary to improve the organizational structure and the legal basis of IFAS on the basis of the existing institutions of the Fund. It is time to automate the management, distribution, accounting and monitoring of water resources in the Aral Sea basin, including their quality. In the current conditions it is important to return to the issue of establishing the International Water and Energy Consortium of Central Asia. It is necessary to consider the issue of the permanent deployment of the Executive Committee of IFAS in one of our countries, “the President of Kazakhstan said.
The Head of State noted that today’s meeting is a landmark event of an international scale and will give a new impetus to the process of regional cooperation in the use of water resources and ecology.
– We defined new priorities and tasks here. The solution of these issues is of fundamental importance for ensuring the sustainable development and prosperity of Central Asia. Therefore, all this requires from us further coordinated joint actions. From my part, I want to assure you that Kazakhstan has been and remains a consistent and reliable partner in the issues of regional cooperation, “Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
August 24, 2018
Meeting with President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov
The Head of State greeted the President of Turkmenistan and stressed that today’s meeting is very important.
Nursultan Nazarbayev stated that regular meetings at the highest level clearly demonstrate the interest of both sides in further strengthening the strategic partnership.
– We will discuss issues relating to the basin of the two rivers – the Amudarya and the Syr Darya, where our states are located. These rivers give life to our children and grandchildren. It is very important to discuss these problems together, “said the President of Kazakhstan.
The head of state stressed the timeliness of the meeting in Turkmenistan, recalling that the previous IFAS summit was held in 2009.
“I closely watch the development of fraternal Turkmenistan and wish the Turkmen people all the best,” the President of Kazakhstan concluded.
In turn, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov greeted Nursultan Nazarbayev and thanked for accepting the invitation to participate in the summit of the heads of the founding states of the International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea.
– Dear Nursultan Nazarbayev, we welcome you in Turkmenistan on the Caspian Sea, connecting our fraternal country – appealed to the Head of State, President of Turkmenistan.
Berdymukhamedov congratulated President of Kazakhstan on the success of the Fifth Summit of Caspian States and the signing of the historic document – the Caspian Sea Convention.
The heads of state considered the implementation of the Roadmap, development of cooperation in the transport and transit area, as well as issues of regional security.
In conclusion, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov congratulated Nursultan Nazarbayev and all the people of Kazakhstan on the holiday of Kurban Ait.